Owner Builder Licensing - Australian Capital Territory


You will need this licence if you are an individual and you intend to build or renovate on land you own. This includes the construction of ancillary structures such as pergolas, carports and decks. Acquiring an Owner Builder Licence will allow you to conduct the building work yourself instead of employing a licensed builder.

To begin building you will need to go through the necessary development approval applications and receive a commencement notice.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult with the Contact Officer for information on any eligibility requirements.


Up to 3 years.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees will vary depending on your circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.


Act(s) name

Construction Occupations (Licensing) Act 2004 Australian Capital Territory

Regulation(s) name

Construction Occupations (Licensing) Regulation 2004 Australian Capital Territory

Administering agency

Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate

Access Canberra

Land, Planning and Building

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.