Food Business Registration - Australian Capital Territory


You will need this registration if you intend to operate a business that makes or sells food for human consumption. This includes any premises (such as a restaurant, cafe, home kitchen, farm stall or mobile food vehicle) where food is prepared, manufactured, processed or treated, stored, handled, served and / or supplied for sale.

You will also need to register your business if you sell food by retail or wholesale.

Please use the contact details below to find out more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Registrations are issued for 1, 2 or 3 years.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.


Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Comply All Food Business Registration Fees (Opens in new window) Important

Act(s) name

Food Act 2001 Australian Capital Territory

Regulation(s) name

Food Regulation 2002 Australian Capital Territory

Additional information

Some food businesses will not need this registration:

  • vending machines that only sell non-hazardous foods
  • food vans that are registered in another state or territory
  • food transport businesses that do not retail food
  • a business that sells food in a closed package that is not hazardous.

Administering agency

Health Directorate

Health Protection Service

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.