You will require this licence if you intend to carry a security sensitive substance, which is a controlled dangerous substance, by road or rail, or engage a third party to do so. Security sensitive substances include:
- a substance that has a UN number
- an ammonium nitrate emulsion or mixture, containing greater than 45% ammonium nitrate
- a substance with UN number 3139, if the substance is a form of ammonium nitrate. It does not include any ammonium nitrate solution or any form of ammonium nitrate that is an explosive.
The following purposes could constitute a legitimate need for this authorisation:
- Academic, scientific or industrial research
- Building construction or building demolition work
- Commercial production processes
- Forestry operations
- Manufacturing, smelting or refining
- Mining, quarrying or road works
- Tertiary education (in science and engineering)
- Transportation, distribution and storage connected with any of the above.
As the holder of this licence, you will be in control of:
- any handling of the substance
- the premises where the substance is stored for carrying
- any associated plant or system
- any associated activity.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.