Licence to Carry Explosives by Road or Rail - Australian Capital Territory


You will need a licence if you intend to transport explosives by road or rail.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence, you must:

  • undergo a security assessment
  • be 18 years of age or older and be considered a suitable person to hold the Authority
  • supply copies of identification papers for yourself and any other responsible person(s) named in the application
  • in the case of a corporate application, supply the corporation's Australian Company Number (ACN)
  • supply the purpose for carrying the substance
  • give details of each vehicle to be used for carrying the substance
  • supply a security plan prepared in accordance with current legislation
  • supply any information or documents as requested.


As stated on the licence.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $1057.00

Licence for a Single Vehicle. Fees for 2023-24

Apply Application All $153.00

Licence for Each Additional Vehicle. Fees for 2023-24


Act(s) name

Dangerous Substances Act 2004 Australian Capital Territory

Regulation(s) name

Dangerous Substances (Explosives) Regulation 2004 Australian Capital Territory

Application process


Please lodge your application directly with the Agency.

Administering agency

Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate

Access Canberra

WorkSafe ACT

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.