You will require this licence if you intend to handle and store a security sensitive substance which is a controlled dangerous substance. Security sensitive substances include:
- A substance that has a UN number
- An ammonium nitrate emulsion or mixture, containing greater than 45 percent ammonium nitrate
- A substance with UN number 3139, if the substance is a form of ammonium nitrate. It does not include any ammonium nitrate solution or any form of ammonium nitrate that is an explosive.
The following purposes could constitute a legitimate need for this authorisation:
- Academic, scientific or industrial research
- Building construction or building demolition work
- Commercial production processes
- Forestry operations
- Manufacturing, smelting or refining
- Mining, quarrying or road works
- Tertiary education (in science and engineering)
- Transportation, distribution and storage connected with any of the above.
As the holder of this licence, you will be in control of:
- Any handling of the substance
- The premises where the substance is stored
- Any associated plant or system
- Any associated activity.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.