You will require this licence if you intend to import a security sensitive substance. Security sensitive substances include:
- a substance that has a UN number
- an ammonium nitrate emulsion or mixture, containing greater than 45 percent ammonium nitrate
- a substance with UN number 3139, if the substance is a form of ammonium nitrate. It does not include any ammonium nitrate solution or any form of ammonium nitrate that is an explosive.
The following purposes could constitute a legitimate need for this authorisation:
- Academic, scientific or industrial research
- Building construction or building demolition work
- Commercial production processes
- Forestry operations
- Manufacturing, smelting or refining
- Mining, quarrying or road works
- Tertiary education (in science and engineering)
- Transportation, distribution and storage connected with any of the above.
As the holder of this licence, you will be in control of:
- handling of the substance
- the premises where the substance is stored after import
- any associated plant or system
- any associated activity.
Notice of the intention to import a security sensitive substance must be given no later than two business days before the day the substance is to arrive in the Australian Capital Territory.
Please use the contact details below to find out more information.