You will need this licence if you are a minor (12-18 years of age) and you intend to own a firearm. This licence may only be issued for category A, B, C and H.
- Category A: an air rifle, rim-fire rifle (other than self-loading), a shotgun, (other than pump action or self-loading) and any shotgun and rim-fire rifle combinations.
- Category B: a muzzle-loading firearm, centre-fire rifle (other than self-loading), and shotgun and centre-fire rifle combinations.
- Category C: is only available to primary producers, people employed or engaged in primary production, or bona fide firearms collectors (subject to certain conditions).
- Category H: pistols are only available to members of pistol clubs, persons employed as firearms dealers, security guards and security agents, or a bona fide firearms collector (subject to certain conditions).
There are two types of firearm licences for minors:
- A minors firearm training licence authorises you to possess and use a firearm under the personal supervision of the holder of a category A, B or C licence, or a person authorised by the Firearms Registrar.
- A minors target pistol training licence authorises you to possess and use a target pistol under the supervision of the holder of a category H firearms licence.