Permit to Conduct a Circus or Travelling Zoo - Australian Capital Territory


You will need this permit if you intend to conduct a circus with an animal in the circus troupe, or a travelling zoo involving performing animals. Please be aware you cannot use prohibited animals such as:

  • bears
  • elephants
  • giraffes
  • primates
  • felines (other than domestic cats).

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this permit, you must meet any requirements specified by the Agency. Before granting a permit there are numerous factors which must be considered, these include the:

  • welfare of the animals used by the circus or travelling zoo
  • provision of facilities and equipment for the animals
  • experience and competency you (and your employees) have in the care and handling of animals
  • adequacy of the conditions under which the circus or travelling zoo animals are to be housed, trained, transported or used.

This application must also be lodged no later than four weeks before the day the zoo is proposed to enter the ACT.


As specified


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $272.60

Fees for 2023-24


Act(s) name

Animal Welfare Act 1992 Australian Capital Territory

Regulation(s) name

Animal Welfare Regulation 2001 Australian Capital Territory

Lodgement process


Application must be lodged 4 weeks before the commencement of the first performance.

Administering agency

Transport Canberra and City Services Directorate

Parks and Territory Services Division

City Services

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.