Plumber and Drainer Licensing - Australian Capital Territory


You will need this licence if you intend to undertake plumbing or drainage work. There are two licensable occupations, with various occupation classes. Plumber occupations include:

  • sanitary plumber
  • water supply plumber
  • irrigation plumber
  • journeyperson plumber
  • fire sprinkler fitter
  • journeyperson fire sprinkler fitter.

Drainer occupations include:

  • advanced sanitary drainer's licence
  • journeyperson drainer licence
  • operative drainer licence.

If you intend to undertake backflow prevention device test work as a licensed plumber you must first receive an endorsement from the registrar. Backflow prevention device test work means any work that is undertaken to test a backflow prevention device that forms part of a water service, hot water system, irrigation system or fire sprinkler system.

Please use the contact details below to find out more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for a plumbing or draining licence you must:

  • hold and provide evidence for an applicable insurance policy
  • have sufficient financial resources
  • have the applicable qualifications for your class of licence.

In addition to the general requirements, you must comply with the individual conditions and requirement for your class of licence.

Please consult with the Contact Officer for information on any eligibility requirements.


Up to 3 years.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees are listed on the attached document.


Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Construction Licence Application (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Construction Occupations (Licensing) Act 2004 Australian Capital Territory

Regulation(s) name

Construction Occupations (Licensing) Regulation 2004 Australian Capital Territory

Administering agency

Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate

Access Canberra

Land, Planning and Building

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Construction and Workplace Licensing

Land, Planning and Building

Access Canberra

Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate

Australian Capital Territory
Mailing address: GPO BOX 158
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory 2601
Phone: 02 6207 8096
Website: Land, Planning, Building and Housing (Opens in new window)