You will be required to comply with this code if you operate or maintain a cooling tower and / or warm water storage systems. The code sets out the minimum requirements for the operation and maintenance of cooling towers and warm water storage systems (known as specialised systems). It is intended to minimise the potential risks to public health from exposure to legionella bacteria by:
- adopting standards for the design, location, commissioning, operation and maintenance of specialised systems at premises
- requiring regular maintenance, inspection, microbial testing and record keeping
- permitting public health officer to check compliance, take samples for testing
- closing of any system or the evacuation of any premises where an outbreak of Legionnaires' disease has occurred
- requiring a cooling tower risk assessment to be undertaken by a practising engineer every 5 years.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.