Public Unleased Land Permit - Australian Capital Territory


You will need a permit to undertake an activity that excludes some, or all, members of the public from using the land. This permit authorises you to use stated public unleased land at a specified time for a specified activity. Public unleased land is unleased territory land that:

  • the public is entitled to use
  • is open to, or used by, the public.

Activities that will need to be permitted include:

  • carrying on business as a hawker
  • placing tables and chairs on the footpath outside a cafe for outdoor dining
  • placing a construction skip on a footpath
  • placing a charity collection bin on a footpath
  • holding markets on unleased land
  • holding a wedding in a park
  • holding a concert in a park
  • parking a car in a park.

A hawker is someone who operates an itinerant business selling goods or services in a public place. Please be aware that your permit may be subject to conditions (for example, a financial assurance condition may be imposed if the activity will cause serious of material damage to the land).

Please use the contact details below to find out more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this permit you must apply in writing providing:

  • the land you intend to use
  • the times that you intend to use the land
  • the particular activity you intend to use the land for
  • your personal details, or for corporations each influential persons personal details.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees are listed on the attached document.

Other resources

Act(s) name

Public Unleased Land Act 2013 Australian Capital Territory

Administering agency

Transport Canberra and City Services Directorate

Parks and Territory Services Division

City Services

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

Land Use Unit

City Services

Parks and Territory Services Division

Transport Canberra and City Services Directorate

Australian Capital Territory
Mailing address: GPO BOX 158
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory 2601
Phone: 02 6205 8794
Fax: 02 6207 7133