Registration of a Foreign Lawyer - Australian Capital Territory


You will require this registration if you are a registered legal practitioner in another country and intend to work as a lawyer in the Australian Capital Territory. As an overseas registered lawyer you may register locally as a foreign lawyer.

Being registered as a foreign lawyer in the Australian Capital Territory entitles you to practise foreign law related to your home country and engage in work that is not reserved to Australian lawyers. Such as:

  • giving in-house or paralegal advice:
  • conciliation
  • mediation
  • dispute resolution services
  • arbitration or proceedings related to your home country that are before a body other than a court.

Overseas lawyers may not work as a lawyer or legal practitioner providing legal services directly to clients, or appear in court.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this registration, you must:

  • be a foreign-registered legal practitioner
  • be residing and intending to work in the ACT
  • submit your application and accompanying documentation in the approved form
  • fulfil any other obligations and expectations required by the authorising Agency
  • pay the prescribed fee.




30 June


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please contact the agency for more information.


Act(s) name

Legal Profession Act 2006 Australian Capital Territory

Regulation(s) name

Legal Profession Regulation 2007 Australian Capital Territory

Administering agency

Justice and Community Safety Directorate

ACT Law Courts & Tribunal Administration

Supreme Court

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.