Registration of a Motor Vehicle - Australian Capital Territory


You will need to apply for this registration if you intend to use a motor vehicle in your business operations. Registration is needed for all vehicles that are intended to be operated on roads. Certain exemptions apply for vehicles that are intended for use other than on a public road, including golf carts and agricultural vehicles.

Please use the contact details below to find out more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for registration the vehicle must be:

  • compliant with the applicable standards for that vehicle type
  • compliant with any third party insurance or duty requirements
  • owned or under the management of a corporation or a person over 16 years of age.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees vary depending on individual circumstances. Please use the contact details below to find out more information.


Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Vehicle Registration Forms (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Act 1999 Australian Capital Territory

Regulation(s) name

Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulations 2000 Australian Capital Territory


If you dispose of a registered vehicle, you must:

  • fill in an applicatoin for transfer of registration form as disposer and sign it
  • give the completed form to the person who has acquired the vehicle.
For more information regarding transfers, please consult the Contact Officer.

Administering agency

Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate

Access Canberra

Road Transport Authority

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:

General Enquiries

Road Transport Authority

Access Canberra

Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate

Australian Capital Territory
Mailing address: PO BOX 582
Dickson, Australian Capital Territory 2602
Phone: 13 22 81
Website: Access Canberra - Transport (Opens in new window)