Trainer Licence (Thoroughbred Racing) - Australian Capital Territory


If you intend to train horses for thoroughbred racing you will require a trainer licence. The type of licence you require will depend on your circumstances, the four categories of licence are:

  • Trainer: you will require this licence if you intend to train thoroughbred horses for racing
  • Owner Trainer Permit: allows you to train and race thoroughbred horses that you own
  • Trainer Partnership: allows up to three people to train as a training partnership. If you intend to form a partnership you share all responsibilities, duties, obligations and rights provided by the Rules of Racing in relation to the training of racehorses
  • Temporary Visiting Licence: If you are visiting from another state and intend to train a horse or horses for one month or such a period approved by the Agency.

Please be aware that:

  • You are required to register any stablehands that you employ
  • You must comply with the specified rules and your licence may be subject to conditions.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible as a trainer you must:

  • Have satisfactory and current public liability insurance and provide evidence of this
  • Have completed the required training course
  • Submit all the required documentation
  • Submit the relevant application form
  • Pay the required fee.

Further eligibility criteria may vary depending on the type of trainer licence. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $100.00

Trainer / owner trainer.

Apply Application All -

Trainer's partnership licence.


Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Australian Rules of Racing - Please consult the Contact Officer for information on forms to be submitted.
Apply All Application/Renewal for Trainers Partnership Licence - PDF (Opens in new window)
Apply All Application to Train Horses by Visiting Trainer - PDF (Opens in new window)
Apply All Guide to Trainers Application Pack and Form - PDF (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Racing Act 1999 Australian Capital Territory

Regulation(s) name

ACT Local Rules of Racing Australian Capital Territory

Administering agency

Racing NSW

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:


Racing NSW

Mailing address: Level 7, 51 Druitt St
New South Wales 2000
Phone: 02 9551 7500
Fax: 02 9551 7501