You will need this registration if you intend to operate as a veterinary practitioner and perform restricted acts of veterinary science in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT). Roles of a veterinary practitioner include:
- attending to the health of animals
- giving advice on the health and welfare of animals, public health and the safety of food derived from animals
- the study of the health and welfare of animals
- the prevention and treatment of animal diseases
- diagnosis, and medical or surgical treatment, of disease or injury in animals
- administration of an anaesthetic agent (other than a topical
- anaesthetic) to an animal
- prescribing medicines for veterinary purposes
- providing veterinary certificates.
You must also apply for mutual recognition if you are registered in another state, territory or in New Zealand.