You may be required to comply with this code if you intend to operate a business that involves, or undertake, demolition work. Demolition work involves either demolishing or dismantling any part of a structure that is either load-bearing or will affect the physical integrity of the structure.
For the purpose of compliance with this code a structure can be fixed, moveable, temporary or permanent, and includes:
- Chimney stacks;
- Silos; and
- Storage tanks.
Demolition work does not include the dismantling of:
- Scaffolding; or
- Any other structure erected to provide support, access or containment during construction.
Certain types of demolition work fall under the category of high risk construction work. These types of demolition work require a Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) before the demolition can take place. A copy of the SWMS can be found in the Code of Practice: Construction Work.
Demolition work that is considered high risk construction work includes:
- Demolition of part of a structure that is load-bearing and at least 6 metres in height;
- Demolition of part of a structure that affects the physical integrity of the structure and is at least 6 metres in height;
- Demolition work utilising load shifting machinery on a suspended floor; and
- Demolition work involving explosives.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance (if any) that may be required.