You may require this certificate if you intend to apply for a job requiring a National Police Certificate. A National Police Certificate lists an individual's criminal background (if any). There are different kinds of checks for different occupations and activities.
All States and Territories conduct their own police checks within their own jurisdictions. This National Police Certificate is conducted by the Australian Federal Police (AFP) and is for:
- residents of the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), Jervis Bay Territory and external Commonwealth territories
- people seeking employment with the Commonwealth Government
- people requiring a check under Commonwealth legislation
- Australian immigration purposes
- where the applicant resides overseas
- overseas employment
- overseas adoption
- visa applications for overseas travel.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.