Building Energy Efficiency Certificate - Australian Government


You may require this certificate if your business owns or leases a building that is affected by the Commercial Building Disclosure Program.

You cannot sell, lease or sublet a building which is affected unless a valid, current building energy efficiency certificate for the building is registered.

A building will be affected if:

  • the total area for sale, lease or sublease is greater than 1 000 square metres
  • the owner or the tenant subleasing are constitutional corporations
  • 75% or more of the total office space available in the building is lettable area
  • it has been more than two years since a certificate of occupancy or equivalent was issued
  • it has been more than two years since a major refurbishment
  • it is not held under strata title
  • sale of the building, or partial sale, is not through selling shares or units
  • the lease or sublease is longer than twelve months.

A building energy efficiency certificate sets out the energy efficiency rating for the building, including its lighting, and provides guidance on how energy efficiency might be improved. When you advertise the building for lease or sale you must include a valid current energy efficiency rating in the advertisement, advertising includes banners on buildings, foyers and perimeter fences.

Exemptions from requiring this certificate may also be granted.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To obtain a Building Energy Efficiency Certificate (BEEC) you must:

  • engage a Commercial Building Disclosure (CBD) accredited assessor to undertake the assessments you need and apply for a BEEC
  • obtain a National Australian Built Environment Rating System (NABERS) rating and a Lighting Assessment for the disclosure affected area.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Up to 12 months.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees will vary depending on your circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.


Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All How to Get a BEEC (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Building Energy Efficiency Disclosure Act 2010 Australian Government

Regulation(s) name

Building Energy Efficiency Disclosure Regulations 2010 Australian Government

Administering agency

Department of the Environment and Energy

Commercial Building Disclosure

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:


Commercial Building Disclosure

Department of the Environment and Energy

Mailing address: GPO BOX 787
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory 2601
Toll Free: 1800 020 131
Website: Commercial Building Disclosure (Opens in new window)