Certificate of Competency - Australian Government


You will require this licence if you work or intend to work on a domestic commercial vessel as a seafarer.

A seafarer is any person who works on board a vessel on the business of the vessel (including a master, engineer, marine engineer driver, coxswain, mate and hand), other than the following:

  • a licensed pilot of the vessel
  • an owner of the vessel or a person (except the master) representing the owner
  • law enforcement personnel
  • if the vessel is a special purpose vessel, special personnel in relation to the vessel
  • a person temporarily employed on the vessel in port.

A certificate of competency proves your capability to master a vessel and its passengers.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult with the Contact Officer for information on any eligibility requirements.


Five years or a lesser period determined by the National Regulator


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.


Act(s) name

Marine Safety (Domestic Commercial Vessel) National Law Act 2012 Australian Government

Regulation(s) name

Marine Order 505 (Certificates of competency - national law) 2013 Australian Government

Administering agency

Australian Maritime Safety Authority

Ship Safety Division

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Please use these contact details for help or more information:


Ship Safety Division

Australian Maritime Safety Authority

Operating address: 82 Northbourne Avenue
Braddon, Australian Capital Territory 2612
Mailing address: GPO BOX 2181
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory 2601
Toll Free: 1800 627 484
Phone: 02 6279 5000
Email: shipsafetyreqs@amsa.gov.au