You will require this licence if you work or intend to work on a domestic commercial vessel as a seafarer.
A seafarer is any person who works on board a vessel on the business of the vessel (including a master, engineer, marine engineer driver, coxswain, mate and hand), other than the following:
- a licensed pilot of the vessel
- an owner of the vessel or a person (except the master) representing the owner
- law enforcement personnel
- if the vessel is a special purpose vessel, special personnel in relation to the vessel
- a person temporarily employed on the vessel in port.
A certificate of competency proves your capability to master a vessel and its passengers.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.