You may need to comply with this code if you use ionizing radiation in medical diagnosis and treatment.
The code applies to the following ionizing radiation exposures in medicine:
- the exposure of patients as part of their medical diagnosis or treatment
- the exposure of individuals as part of health screening programs
- the exposure of individuals participating in research programs
- the exposure of individuals as part of medico-legal procedures
- the occupational exposure of individuals
- the exposure of carers
- the exposure of members of the public arising from medical radiation-producing equipment and radioactive sources.
The code sets out the minimum requirements to protect patients from harm from the use of ionizing radiation in medical applications. It establishes the responsibilities of:
- the responsible person, being the person who has the overall management responsibility of the radioactive source, radiation-producing equipment or medical practice
- the radiation medical practitioner, being the person responsible for the justification and optimisation of the procedure involving the exposure of the patient to ionizing radiation
- the operator who exposes the patient to ionizing radiation.