Drone Registration - Australian Government


You will need to register your drone or remotely piloted aircraft if you intend to fly it for business or as part of your job. This applies to all drones that you fly to provide any type of service. This may include activities such as:

  • selling photos or videos taken from a drone
  • inspecting industrial equipment, construction sites or infrastructure
  • monitoring, surveillance or security services
  • research and development
  • any drone activities on behalf of your employer or business.

You do not need to register your drone if:

  • you do not intend to fly it
  • you are only flying for sport or recreation. including model aircraft flown at approved model airfields.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this registration you must:

  • be at least 16 years old
  • have a remotely piloted aircraft operator certificate or remote pilot licence
  • provide proof of identification
  • have an aviation reference number
  • have a myCASA account.


One year


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

You do not need to pay any fees.


Act(s) name

Civil Aviation Act 1988 Australian Government

Regulation(s) name

Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998 Australian Government

Application process


Please register your drone using your myCASA account.

Administering agency

Civil Aviation Safety Authority

Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.