Export Licences for Unprocessed Wood - Australian Government


You will require this licence if you intend to export two tonnes or more of:

  • wood chips
  • wood in the round, which is intended to undergo further processing following export
  • wood with a cross-sectional area of 225 square centimetres or greater which is intended to undergo further processing following export.

An export licence is not required if the wood is sourced from either:

  • an area covered by a Regional Forest Agreement
  • a plantation in any state or territory except Queensland.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be granted an export licence by the Agency, you will need to supply the following documents:

  • a completed application form
  • a copy of all relevant state-issued documentation that authorises the harvest and sale of the wood (e.g. harvesting, clearing licences and sales permits)
  • a copy of documentation relating to the sale (e.g. a sales receipt, a confirmation of order, a letter of intent to buy or a tax invoice).


Usually on a per shipment basis


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

No fees are required.


Act(s) name

Export Control Act 2020 Australian Government

Regulation(s) name

Export Control (Wood and Woodchips Rules) 2021 Australian Government

Administering agency

Department of Agriculture Fisheries and Forestry


Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.