Fish Receiver Permit - Australian Government


You will require this permit if you intend to act as a fish processor, wholesaler or retailer of fish sourced from particular Commonwealth fisheries.

The requirement for a permit varies according to the fishery. Currently, a fish receiver permit is required for fish received from the following fisheries:

  • Southern Bluefin Tuna Fishery
  • Coral Sea Fishery
  • Bass Strait Central Zone Scallop Fishery
  • Southern Squid Fishery
  • Southern and Eastern Scalefish and Shark Fishery
  • Eastern Tuna and Billfish Fishery
  • Western Tuna and Billfish Fishery
  • Skipjack Tuna Fisheries
  • Small Pelagic Fishery
  • South Tasman Rise.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please note that in order to receive southern bluefin tuna, you will be required to be registered with the Agency. Fish receiver permits must also comply with the Commission for the Conservation of Southern Bluefin Tuna's Catch Documentation Scheme. This scheme applies to all southern bluefin tuna sold.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

You must keep records in respect of fish received. The records must be kept for five years and contain:

  • personal details of the fish receiver permit holder
  • the name of the boat used to take the fish
  • the name and amount of each species of fish
  • the date on which the fish were received.


12 months


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.


Act(s) name

Fisheries Management Act 1991 Australian Government

Regulation(s) name

Fisheries Management Regulations 2019 Australian Government

Administering agency

Australian Fisheries Management Authority

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.