Fitness Centres and Instructors Music Licence - Australian Government


You will require this licence if you intend to play recorded or live music in your venue, including creating copies of music for these purposes. The types of activities covered by this licence are:

  • playing music in fitness classes
  • background music used in your fitness facility (including virtual fitness classes)
  • playing music on devices within your centre
  • telephone hold music for your fitness centre or business telephone.

You will need a separate licence if you intend to use it for recreation and leisure centres or fitness facilities within hotels, motels or other accommodation services. Please note that there are different licensing regimes in Australia regarding the reproduction and playing of music and music videos that are protected by copyright.

This licence covers fitness centres, as well as fitness and wellbeing instructors who work outside of fitness centres. Please note that depending on the nature of your activities you may also be required to hold a licence with the Phonographic Performance Company of Australia (PPCA) or the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA). It is recommended you discuss your licensing needs with all three Agencies prior to applying.

Please contact the responsible Agency for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To apply for this licence, you must:

  • submit your ABN / ACN (if you have one)
  • submit the required form
  • pay the prescribed fees.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees will vary dependant on the activity you are applying for. Please consult the responsible Agency for more information.

Act(s) name

Copyright Act 1968 AG

Regulation(s) name

Copyright Regulations 2017 AG

Disqualified persons or entities

This licence cannot be used for:

  • recreation centres
  • leisure centres.

Administering agency

Australasian Performing Right Association

Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society

Revenue and Licensing

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Enquiries, Licensing Services

Revenue and Licensing

Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society

Australasian Performing Right Association

Operating address: 16 Mountain Street
New South Wales 2007
Mailing address: Locked Bag 5000
Strawberry Hills
New South Wales 2012
Phone: 1300 852 388
Phone: 02 9935 7900