You will be required to comply with this code if you intend to sell horticulture produce as an agent on behalf of a grower or as a merchant, or if you intend to grow horticultural produce. The Code aims to improve the clarity and transparency of trading arrangements between growers and traders in the horticulture sector.
- requires growers and traders to have a contract called a horticulture produce agreement (HPA)
- obliges all parties to deal in good faith
- obliges merchants to explain how price will be calculated
- includes penalties for breaching certain sections of the Code
- requires growers and traders to keep certain records.
The Code does not apply to:
- nursery products (trees, plants, seeds and flowers)
The Code also does not apply to purchasers of horticulture produce who sell directly to consumers.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance that may be required.