Hotel, Pub, Tavern or Bar Music Licence - Australian Government


You need this licence if you intend to play copyrighted music in a venue that entertains, feeds or accommodates customers.

This licence allows music to be played at the following venue types:

  • hotel
  • pub
  • bar
  • tavern
  • saloon
  • lounge
  • casino
  • taproom
  • cellar door
  • motel
  • resort
  • guest house
  • B&B
  • hostel.

This licence covers music used as feature music, background music, live music, recorded music for dance, DJ music, or telephone hold music. You will need a separate licence to use music for separate purposes such as function centres or dance classes.

This licence legally authorises the public performance of copyrighted music from within the Australasian Performing Right Association and Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society (APRA AMCOS) and Phonographic Performance Company of Australia (PPCA) global inventory of registered songs (called works), sound recordings and music videos.

Your licence will be obtained from OneMusic Australia and covers the rights of the above two organisations.

This licence covers the use of music in the described locations only. Please note that depending on the nature of your intended activity, you may also be required to hold a licence with the Phonographic Performance Company of Australia (PPCA) or the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA).

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To apply for this licence you must:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • submit the required forms
  • pay the prescribed fees.




Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees will vary depending on your circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Act(s) name

Copyright Act 1968 Australian Government

Regulation(s) name

Copyright Regulations 2017 Australian Government

Application process


Please complete the licence agreement if you have six or more locations.

Administering agency

Australasian Performing Right Association

OneMusic Australia

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.