Licence to Broadcast Music - Australian Government


You will require this approval if you intend to transmit protected sound recordings or music videos via a broadcast service, including:

  • a radio broadcast
  • a free-to-air television broadcast
  • a subscription television broadcast
  • all other holders of class licences under the Broadcasting Services Act.

This licence covers the sound recording only. Please note that depending on the nature of your activities you may also be required to hold a licence with the Australasian Performing Right Association (APRA). It is recommended that you discuss your licensing needs with both Agencies prior to applying.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult the Contact Officer for further information on eligibility criteria.




Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees vary depending on individual circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for fee information.


Act(s) name

Copyright Act 1968 Australian Government

Regulation(s) name

Copyright Regulations 2017 Australian Government

Administering agency

Phonographic Performance Company of Australia Ltd

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.