You will require this approval if you intend to transmit protected sound recordings or music videos via a broadcast service, including:
- a radio broadcast
- a free-to-air television broadcast
- a subscription television broadcasters
- all other holders of class licences under the Broadcasting Services Act.
Please note that there are different licensing regimes in Australia regarding the reproduction and playing of music and music videos that are protected by copyright:
- Licensing in relation to the composition, or musical work, is administered by the Australasian Performing Right Association / Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society, (APRA AMCOS).
- Licensing in relation to the recording (for example, the CD or music in other formats) is administered by the Phonographic Performance Company of Australia Limited (PPCA) and the Australian Record Industry Association Limited (ARIA).
This licence covers the sound recording only. Please note that depending on the nature of your activities you may also be required to hold a licence with APRA. It is recommended that you discuss your licensing needs with all three Agencies prior to applying.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.