Licence to Play Music in a Hotel, Pub, Tavern or Bar - Australian Government


You will require this licence if you intend to play recorded or live music in your venue, including creating copies of music for these purposes. The types of venues that may apply for this licence are:

  • hotels
  • pubs
  • bars
  • taverns
  • casinos.

This licence is only able to cover music used for purposes such as feature music, background music, live performances or telephone hold music. You will need a separate licence if you intend to use it for separate purposes such as function centres or dance classes. Please note that there are different licensing regimes in Australia regarding the reproduction and playing of music and music videos that are protected by copyright.

This licence covers the use of music in the described locations only. Please note that depending on the nature of your intended activity you may also be required to hold a licence with the Phonographic Performance Company of Australia (PPCA) or the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA).

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To apply for this licence you must:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • submit the required forms
  • pay the prescribed fees.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


One year.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees will vary depending on your circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Act(s) name

Copyright Act 1968 AG

Regulation(s) name

Copyright Regulations 2017 AG

Disqualified persons or entities

You will not be eligible for this licence if it is for music to be played in:

  • clubs
  • accommodation hotels
  • karaoke bars
  • motels
  • nightclubs
  • restaurants.

Administering agency

Australasian Performing Right Association

Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society

Revenue and Licensing

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Enquiries, Licensing Services

Revenue and Licensing

Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society

Australasian Performing Right Association

Operating address: 16 Mountain Street
New South Wales 2007
Mailing address: Locked Bag 5000
Strawberry Hills
New South Wales 2012
Phone: 1300 852 388
Phone: 02 9935 7900