Dining Music Licence - Australian Government


You will need this licence to play copyrighted music at your restaurant or cafe business, including counter-service fast food and full table service restaurants.

You will be entitled to use background music, featured music, website use and telephone on hold music.

This licence legally authorises the public performance of copyrighted music from within the Australasian Performing Right Association and Australasian Mechanical Copyright Owners Society (APRA AMCOS) and Phonographic Performance Company of Australia (PPCA) global inventory of registered songs (called works), sound recordings and music videos.

Your licence will be obtained from OneMusic Australia and covers the rights of the above two organisations.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • apply using the relevant form
  • pay the appropriate licence fee.




Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees will vary depending on your circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Act(s) name

Copyright Act 1968 Australian Government

Regulation(s) name

Copyright Regulations 2017 Australian Government

Application process


Please complete the licence agreement form if you have more than six locations.

If the dining space has less than seven seats, please apply for a music licence for retail and service providers.

For music in dining spaces inside a hotel, pub, tavern, bar, casino, club, motel, resort, B&B, guest house, or fitness centre please refer to the relevant industry specific licence.

Administering agency

Australasian Performing Right Association

OneMusic Australia

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Supporting information