You are required to comply with the following regulations if you operate a regulated Australian vessel or a foreign vessel making port within Australia. The regulations set out broad objectives, key certification requirements, compliance, and enforcement powers.
The marine orders contain detailed technical requirements and cover a wide range of matters, including:
- vessel survey, construction, equipment, and design
- vessel operations and crewing
- navigational safety
- cargo operations
- coastal pilotage
- crew working and living conditions
- international shipping register requirements
- prevention of pollution, including control of harmful anti-fouling systems.
The marine orders also put international and national maritime standards into effect.