You will require this permit if you intend to undertake any activity not otherwise regulated by the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Zoning Plan or similar plans for the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Zones.
The following activities require a permit:
- most commercial activities, including shipping, boating, tourist operations such as whale watching, and fishing
- installation and operation of structures, such as jetties, marinas, pontoons and aquaculture facilities
- any works, such as repairs to structures, dredging and dumping of spoil, placement and operation of moorings
- anchoring or mooring for an extended period
- waste discharge from a fixed structure
- entering a wreck
- research except for limited impact research
- educational programs
- traditional hunting and / or fishing
- carrying out cultural heritage purposes such as research, filming or monitoring in Maritime Cultural Heritage Protection areas.
Most visitors to the Marine Park will not require a permit for recreational activities.
Permit-related fees have been waived until 30 June 2022.