You are required to hold a Maritime Security Industry Card (MSIC) if you work in the secure area of a:
- offshore oil or gas facility.
A MSIC is a nationally consistent identification card that states that the holder has met the background check requirements to work in a maritime security zone. All people that require unmonitored access within a maritime security zone (such as port security zones, ship security zones and on-board security zones) must hold and display a MSIC.
A MSIC is required by a range of businesses / occupations including:
- port, port facility and port service workers, inspectors and security guards
- transport operators such as train and truck drivers
- seafarers on Australian regulated ships
- people who work on, and / or supply, offshore oil and gas facilities.
Some exemptions exist for certain occupations. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.