You may require a Certificate of Proficiency if you intend to operate maritime radiocommunications equipment using VHF and MF/HF frequencies on ship stations.
There are different forms of certification:
- Long Range Operator Certificate of Proficiency (LROCP)
- Short Range Operator Certificate of Proficiency (SROCP)
- Marine Satellite Communications Endorsement (Satcom)
- GMDSS General Operator's Certificate of Proficiency (GOCP)
- GMDSS First-Class Radio Electronic Certificate (1st-Class REC)
- GMDSS Second-Class Radio Electronic Certificate (2nd-Class REC).
The Australian Maritime College (AMC) issues LROCP, SROCP and Satcom Certificates of Proficiency and the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) is responsible for the issue of GOCP and 1st- and 2nd-Class RECs. In addition, AMC and AMSA have accredited a number of educational institutions to conduct examinations required for a Certificate of Proficiency.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.