To be eligible to register as a marriage celebrant, you must:
- have completed an Australian standard approved, competency-based training course such as a Certificate IV in Celebrancy or equivalent
- be 18 years of age or over.
You must also be considered fit and proper for the position, meaning that you:
- have sufficient knowledge of the law relating to the solemnisation of marriages
- have a good standing in the community
- are committed to advising couples of the availability of relationship support services
- have no conflict between the duties of a marriage celebrant and any other of your business interests or job.
If granted registration as a marriage celebrant, you will be required to state which type of ceremony you plan to offer when listed on the Register of Marriage Celebrants.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.