Northern Land Council Permits - Australian Government


You will require a permit if you intend to undertake certain activities on Aboriginal land in the Darwin-Daly-Wagait, West Arnhem, East Arnhem, Katherine, V-R-D, Ngukurr or Borroloola-Barkly regions of the Northern Territory.

You will also require a permit if you intend to enter Aboriginal land or waters for any purpose, enter or visit an Aboriginal community or travel through Aboriginal land.

The following permits are available:

  • work
  • transit
  • visitor
  • residential
  • recreational fishing
  • research
  • media.

All people visiting Aboriginal communities for work or other purposes on a short- or long-term basis require a permit, including:

  • travellers
  • tourists
  • contractors
  • journalists
  • hawkers
  • representatives of any group, company agency or government department not covered by statutory permit arrangement.

You do not require a permit to travel on a public road through Aboriginal Land.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


As specified


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

You do not need to pay any permit fees. However, entry fees apply for some destinations.

Act(s) name

Aboriginal Land Rights (Northern Territory) Act 1976 Australian Government

Application process


Please lodge your application using the Permit Administration System (PAS). Alternatively, you may complete the form in the permit application pack and lodge your application by email to the Agency.

Administering agency

Northern Land Council

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Supporting information