You will be required to submit this notification if you are a foreign investor and intend to acquire interest in Australian assets or shares. This includes the purchase of real estate for residential or commercial purposes.
Notifiable actions include:
- acquiring a direct interest in an Australian entity or an Australian Business
- starting a new Australian business
- acquiring an interest in Australian land
- acquiring a legal or equitable interest in mining, production or exploration tenement
- acquiring an interest of at least 10 percent in securities in a mining, production or exploration entity.
Direct interest is defined as:
- an interest in an entity with an interest of at least 10 per cent in the entity or business
- an interest of at least 5 per cent in the entity or business if you acquire the interest though a legal arrangement relating to the businesses of the person and the entity or business
- an interest of any percentage in the entity or business if you are in a position to participate or influence central management and control of the entity or business and policy.