Permit to Undertake Activities in Australian Government Parks and Reserves - Australian Government


You may need one of these permits if you would like to undertake certain activities in Australian Government parks, gardens or reserves. Proposed activities must be consistent with the Management Plan for the park or reserve in which the activity is to be conducted.

Activities include commercial tours, commercial filming and photography, camping, bushwalking, scientific research, special events and other similar activities.

These permits may be required in the following parks:

  • Kakadu National Park
  • Christmas Island National Park
  • Norfolk Island National Park
  • Booderee National Park
  • Pulu Keeling National Park
  • Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park
  • Australian National Botanic Gardens
  • other locations determined by the Agency.

Please see the attached document for the listing of marine reserves.

As there may be significant restrictions attached to a permit.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible, you must:

  • have an Australian Business Number (ABN)
  • obey any conditional requirements given by the Agency.

Ongoing eligibility requirements

A permit may be issued for an activity in Australian Government parks or reserves only if the activity is consistent with the Agency's management of that area, will not impact upon the indigenous people's use of the land and the activity is not likely to:

  • be a danger to the public
  • damage the reserve
  • interfere with the preservation or conservation of biodiversity or heritage in the reserve
  • interfere with the protection of other features or facilities in the reserve
  • interfere with the privacy of a cultural event held in the reserve by the traditional owners of indigenous people's land in the reserve
  • interfere with the continuing cultural use of the reserve (including residence in the reserve) by the traditional owners of Indigenous People's land in the reserve
  • interfere with the privacy of other persons in the reserve.


As specified


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Fees vary depending on individual circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for fee information.


Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Comply Company, Co-operative, Other, Partnership, Sole Trader Commonwealth Marine Reserves (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 Australian Government

Regulation(s) name

Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Regulations 2000 Australian Government

Administering agency

Department of Climate Change, Energy, the Environment and Water

Environment Protection

Parks Australia

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.