Permits for Schedule 1 Chemicals - Australian Government


You will require this permit if you intend to operate a consumption facility where Schedule 1 chemicals in quantities greater than 100g will be acquired, retained, used or transferred.

A permit is also required to operate a research facility that will produce, acquire or retain Schedule 1 chemicals. You must only use all chemicals for research, medical or pharmaceutical purposes only.

A permit is also required for protective purpose facilities that will produce or consume less than 10kg of Schedule 1 chemicals.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

Please consult with the Contact Officer for information on any eligibility requirements.


Might Need

Import Controls


Annual, but may be automatically renewed for up to 4 years


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

No fees are required.

Act(s) name

Chemical Weapons (Prohibition) Act 1994 Australian Government

Regulation(s) name

Chemical Weapons (Prohibition) Regulations 1997 Australian Government

Administering agency

Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

Australian Safeguards and Non-Proliferation Office

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.