You will require a Private Pilot Licence if you intend to fly an Australian aircraft as the pilot in command during private operations.
For the purposes of this licence an aircraft is engaged in private operations if it falls under the any of the following categories:
- Agricultural operations on land owned and occupied by the owner of the aircraft
- The carriage of goods for purposes other than trade
- Aerial photography where the pilot and photographer are not being paid
- Aerial spotting where the pilot and organisation arranging the spotting are not being paid
- Conversion training for the purpose of endorsement of an additional type or category of aircraft in a pilot licence
- Passenger transport where no public notice of the flight has been given
- Passenger transport where the number of persons on the flight does not exceed six
- No payment is made for the services of the operating crew
- The persons on the flight, including the operating crew, share equally in the costs of the flight.
You may receive a licence for the following aircraft types:
- Aeroplane (A)
- Helicopter (H)
- Gyroplane (G)
- Airship (AS)
- Powered lift (PL)
- Glider (GL).
You may receive a class rating for the following class of aircraft:
- Single-engine aircraft
- Multi-engine aircraft
- Single-engine helicopter.
You are only permitted to operate the type and class of aircraft that is listed on your licence. You receive class and type ratings according to the competency based training units that you have undertaken at approved flight training organisations or under the authority of an Air Operator Certificate.
Please be aware that there are comprehensive design endorsements, operational ratings, operational endorsements and flight activity endorsements that must be listed on your licence before you can undertake certain activities. You may receive these on your licence by completing the appropriate competency based training units at approved flight training organisations or under the authority of an Air Operator Certificate.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.