To be eligible to receive this registration you must:
- submit an application providing information about the ship, boat or vessel you are registering
- provide a declaration of ownership and nationality
- provide a tonnage certificate (if any)
- provide identification documentation for the ship, boat or vessel that is either from the last place of registration or the manufacturer (builder's certificate).
A provisional registration certificate has the same effect as a registration certificate until either:
- the ship arrives at an Australian port
- 6 months has passed since the certificate was granted.