Regional Forest Agreement Licence - Australian Government


You will require this licence if you intend to export woodchips that were harvested from hardwood trees on land subject to a Regional Forest Agreement (RFA).

RFAs are plans created for the purpose of ensuring native forests are conserved through suitable management. You must hold a licence for each region from which you intend to harvest and export hardwood woodchips. Several RFAs are in place across regions of Australia.

Most native trees in Australia, such as those of the eucalyptus family, are hardwoods. Examples of softwoods, which you do not require this licence to export, include trees of the pine family.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

In determining whether a licence will be granted, the following criteria will be considered:

  • effect on the environment of obtaining the woodchips
  • existence, or otherwise, of a local market for the woodchips and if no local market exists, the prospects for development of such a market
  • the financial resources available to you
  • your ability and experience in the marketing and export of woodchips
  • the source of the woodchips
  • the terms of any agreement you have entered into or intend to enter into in relation to the woodchips
  • your commitment to value-adding and processing activities in Australia, both now and in the future
  • your commercial reputation, including consideration of an applicant's past adherence to export licence conditions
  • possible economic, social and operational impacts of a decision to grant or refuse a licence application.




Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the Contact Officer for information on fees to be submitted.


Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Comply Company, Co-operative, Other, Partnership, Sole Trader Regions (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Export Control Act 2020 Australian Government

Regulation(s) name

Export Control (Wood and Woodchips Rules) 2021 Australian Government

Administering agency

Department of Agriculture Fisheries and Forestry


Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.