Registered Telecommunications Cabler - Restricted - Australian Government


You will need this registration, or to be supervised by a registered person, if you intend to undertake telecommunications cabling work (e.g. cabling for telephones, data, fire or security alarm systems). If you only want to work in domestic or small business premises you will only require a restricted registration rather than an open registration.

Typical domestic and small business premises restricted telecommunications cabling work includes:

  • work that terminates on a socket or network termination device
  • work where the electrical supply voltage does not exceed typical domestic single-phase and three-phase electrical supply voltages
  • aerial, underground or broadband cabling work on private property
  • aerial cabling work that does not use electricity distribution poles
  • work behind a compliant device in multi-storey or campus-style premises, such as behind an alarm panel, modem or customer switching system.

Restricted cabling work does not include:

  • cabling work between a compliant device and a distributor or a patch panel
  • situations where the reticulated electrical power in a building is a higher voltage than 230V a.c for single-phase
  • situations where the reticulated electrical power in a building is a higher voltage than 415V a.c for three-phase
  • cabling work where cable sheaths are shared with other services.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this registration you must:

  • meet the relevant competency requirements
  • have completed the relevant qualifications
  • provide proof of a minimum of 80 hours actual on-the-job cabling experience, which is additional to any experience that was gained in the training undertaken to acquire the competencies for registration
  • have registered with an accredited registrar.

You will be registered as a restricted cabler until you have gained a further 280 hours of on-the-job cabling experience to be registered as an open cabler.

You may also need to provide proof of successful completion of the cabling regulations test.


As specified


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Description
Apply Application All

Please consult the Contact Officer or individual registrars for information on fees to be submitted.


Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Comply All Cabling Provider Rules (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Telecommunications Act 1997 Australian Government

Regulation(s) name

Telecommunications Regulations 2021 Australian Government

Administering agency

Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts

Australian Communications and Media Authority

Communications Infrastructure

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.