Registration as a Tax Agent - Australian Government


You will require this registration if you intend to provide tax agent services for fee or reward. Tax agent services include:


  • evaluating or providing advice regarding an entity's liabilities, obligations or entitlements under a taxation law
  • representing an entity in their dealings with the Australian Taxation Office in relation to a taxation law
  • in situations where it is reasonable to assume that an entity has relied on your services to satisfy liabilities or obligations or to claim entitlements under a taxation law.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

You may apply for registration as a tax agent as an individual, partnership, company or as a non-profit association.


To be granted registration, the Tax Practitioners Board must be satisfied that you:


  • have the relevant qualifications, skills and experience
  • are 18 years of age or more
  • are capable and a fit and proper person and not bankrupt
  • possess and maintain professional indemnity insurance.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


At least three years.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $500.00

Tax agent who carries on a business as a tax agent.

Apply Application All $250.00

Tax agent who does not carry on a business as a tax agent.


Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Register Now (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Tax Agent Services Act 2009 AG

Regulation(s) name

Tax Agent Services Regulations 2009 AG

Administering agency

Tax Practitioners Board

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.


Tax Practitioners Board

Mailing address: GPO BOX 1620
Sydney, New South Wales 2001
Other: 1300 362 829
Contact us website: Tax Practitioners Board (Opens in new window)