Remote Pilot Licence - Australian Government


You will need this licence if you intend to use a remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) that weighs more than 2 kg for commercial purposes, including events or festivals. An RPA includes a drone or similarly unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) system. A UAV system may include:

  • the vehicle itself
  • the controllers
  • the pilot stations
  • command and control links
  • ground support equipment
  • components that have been specified in the type design
  • any other associated devices or operational personnel.

Some commercial purposes this certificate covers include:

  • weather monitoring
  • photography and filming
  • delivery
  • agricultural spraying or monitoring.

You can operate a remotely piloted aircraft (RPA) beyond visual line of sight without passing an examination, but the operation must be conducted in accordance with the documented practices and procedures of the person certified as the RPA operator of the RPA, and under the supervision and direction of another remote pilot who has passed the examination.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • have a valid Aviation Reference Number (ARN)
  • provide a log book detailing at least 5 hours of aeronautical experience
  • have completed a UAV Type training course
  • have passed an aeronautical exam.


As specified


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount Description
Apply Application All $160.00

Fee per hour spent on the inspection and assessment of the application. Fees for 2023-24

Other resources

Task Business Structure Resources
Apply All Find a Training Provider (Opens in new window)

Act(s) name

Civil Aviation Act 1988 Australian Government

Regulation(s) name

Civil Aviation Regulations 1988 Australian Government

Application process


Please undertake the required training through a certified training provider. If you pass, your training provider will apply to the agency for your RPL on your behalf.

Administering agency

Civil Aviation Safety Authority

Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.