You must comply with this code if you intend to operate as a store-based or online grocery retailer. The code makes it compulsory for certain grocery retailers to use unit pricing when selling non-exempt grocery items to consumers.
The code applies to grocery retailers who fall within one of the following categories:
- store-based grocery retailer
- online grocery retailer
- participating grocery retailer.
A store based grocery retailer is described as one that:
- sells a minimum range of food based grocery items
- has more than 1000 square metres of floor space for displaying grocery items
- the retail premises are used primarily for the sale of food based grocery items.
An online grocery retailer is a grocery retailer that sells a minimum range of food based grocery items online.
A participating grocery retailer is a retailer that:
- sells the minimum range of food based grocery items
- voluntarily displays a unit price for one or more grocery items required under the code.
You sell the minimum range of food-based grocery items if you sell items from all the following categories:
- breakfast cereal
- fresh fruit and vegetables
- fresh milk
- packaged food, other than the food mentioned above.