You will be required to comply with this code if you intend to operate as a store-based or online grocery retailer. The code makes it compulsory for certain grocery retailers to use unit pricing when selling non-exempt grocery items to consumers.
The Unit Pricing Code applies to grocery retailers who fall within one of the following categories:
- store-based grocery retailer
- online grocery retailer
- participating grocery retailer.
A store based grocery retailer is described as one that:
- sells a minimum range of food based grocery items
- has more than 1000 square metres of floor space for displaying grocery items
- the retail premises are used primarily for the sale of food based grocery items.
An online grocery retailer is a grocery retailer that sells a minimum range of food based grocery items online.
A participating grocery retailer is a retailer that:
- sells the minimum range of food based grocery items
- voluntarily displays a unit price for one or more grocery items required under the code.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information and to ascertain the level of compliance that may be required.