Permit to Conduct a Circus or Travelling Zoo - Australian Capital Territory


You will require this permit if you intend to conduct a circus with an animal in the circus troupe, or a travelling zoo involving performing animals. Please be aware you cannot use prohibited animals such as:

  • Bears;
  • Elephants;
  • Giraffes;
  • Primates; or
  • Felines (other than domestic cats).

Please use the contact details below to find out more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for this permit you must meet any requirements specified by the Agency. Before granting a permit there are numerous factors which must be considered, these include the:

  • Welfare of the animals used by the circus or travelling zoo;
  • Provision of facilities and equipment for the animals;
  • Experience and competency you (and your employees) have in the care and handling of animals; and
  • Adequacy of the conditions under which the circus or travelling zoo animals are to be housed, trained, transported or used.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


As specified on the permit.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount
Apply Application Sole Trader, Company, Partnership, Trust, Co-operative, Incorporated Association, Other $225.00

Administering agency

Transport Canberra and City Services

Parks and Territory Services Division

City Services

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Enquiries, Licensing and Compliance

Operating address: Macarthur House,
12 Wattle Street
Australian Capital Territory 2601
Mailing address: GPO BOX 158
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory 2601
Phone: 132281
Fax: 02 62075956