Public Unleased Land Permit - Australian Capital Territory


You must apply for this permit to if you intend to undertake an activity on public unleased land. Public unleased land is unleased territory land:

  • That the public is entitled to use; or
  • Is open to, or used by, the public.

You will require a permit if you intend to undertake an activity that excludes some, or all, members of the public from using the land. This permit authorises you to use stated public unleased land at a specified time for a specified activity.

You will require this permit for:

  • Placing tables and chairs on the footpath outside a cafe for outdoor dining;
  • Placing a construction skip on a footpath;
  • Placing a charity collection bin on a footpath;
  • Holding markets on unleased land;
  • Holding a wedding in a park;
  • Holding a concert in a park; and
  • Parking a car in a park.

You will also require this permit if you intend to carry on a business as a hawker. A hawker is someone who operates an itinerant business selling goods or services in a public place. Please be aware that your permit may be subject to conditions (for example, a financial assurance condition may be imposed if the activity will cause serious of material damage to the land).

Please use the contact details below to find out more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for this permit you must apply in writing providing:

  • The land you intend to use;
  • The times that you intend to use the land;
  • The particular activity you intend to use the land for; and
  • Your personal details, or for corporations each influential persons personal details.

You must also provide:

  • A location plan clearly showing the location, boundaries and dimensions of the land including the position of the intended activity; or
  • If the activity involves placing tables and chairs for an outdoor eating or drinking place a professionally drafted location plan.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Description
Apply Application

Fees will vary depending on your circumstances. Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Administering agency

Transport Canberra and City Services

Parks and Territory Services Division

City Services

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Land Use Unit

Phone: 02 62058794
Fax: 02 62077133