Restricted Hire Car Licence - Australian Capital Territory


You will require this licence if you intend to use a vehicle as a hire car in the Australian Capital Territory. Restricted Hire Cars (RHC) are restricted to operate for weddings and school formals only. If you intend to use your vehicle as a hire car in situations that are not for weddings or school formals you will require a leased hire car licence.

A hire car is any vehicle that is not a bus, taxi or demand responsive service vehicle that:

  • Is used for the transport of passengers under a contract; and
  • Does not stand or ply for hire for the transport of passengers along a road or road related area.

Please use the contact details below to find out more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible for this licence you must:

  • Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident;
  • Hold a Restricted Hire Car Accreditation which permits you to drive the licensed vehicle;
  • Be at least 18 years of age; and
  • Meet the Suitable Persons requirements.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


12 months in line with vehicle registration and insurance.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount
Apply Application Sole Trader, Company, Partnership, Trust, Co-operative, Incorporated Association, Other $30.00

Administering agency

Chief Minister, Treasury and Economic Development Directorate

Access Canberra

Road Transport Authority

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

General Enquiries

Mailing address: PO BOX 582
Dickson, Australian Capital Territory 2602
Phone: 132281
Phone: 02 62077171
Phone: 02 62077101
Website: Road Transport Authority (Opens in new window)