You will require this approval if you are an organisation that is involved in research, education or the defence industry and you intend to transfer articles that are listed in the Defense Trade Cooperation Munitions List.
The transfer of articles must support activities or end uses that are approved under the Australia-United States Defence Trade Cooperation Treaty.
These approved activities are covered on the:
- Australian Government End-Use List
- Cooperative Programs List
- Combined Operations and Exercises List
- Nominated US Government End-Use programs.
Prior to commencing your application for approval as a Member of the Australian Community you must submit an application for registration as an Australian Defence Force (ADF) client.
Once registration as an ADF Client is finalised you may submit an application to join the Australian Community.
There are several criteria that the ADF will address on application:
- export compliance history of the organisation applying
- is the approval prejudicial to the security, defence or international relations of the Commonwealth of Australia
- does the application identify all existing or future involvement in Treaty-eligible trade activities
- extent of foreign ownership, who has effective control and influence over the organisation
- suitable facility for the storing of Treaty Articles.
If the ADF is satisfied with your application it will be forwarded to the United States Department of State, Directorate of Defense Trade Controls for bilateral determination of membership.
Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.