Used Substances Licence - Australian Government


You will require this licence if you intend to import or export used or recycled ozone depleting substances. This includes:

  • Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs);
  • Hydrochlorofluorocarbons (HFCS);
  • Methyl bromide;
  • Bromochloromethane (BCM);
  • Halons;
  • Carbon tetrachloride; and
  • Methyl chloroform.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information.

Service type


A licence defines the need to obtain recognition / certification and registration to undertake a certain business activity.

Eligibility Requirements

To be eligible to receive this licence you must complete the application form providing:

  • Details on the substance, or substances that you intend to import, export or manufacture;
  • The intended purpose of the substance;
  • The amount of each substance proposed to be imported/exported (in grams); and
  • Country of origin or country of destination.

You must also be considered a fit and proper person before a licence can be granted.

Please consult the Contact Officer for more information regarding eligibility requirements.


As specified on the licence.


Fees Details for this service in table format.

Task Type Business Structure Amount
Apply Application Sole Trader, Partnership, Company, Trust, Co-operative, Incorporated Association, Other $15000.00

Administering agency

Department of the Environment and Energy

Environment Protection

Environment Quality

Contact details

Contact Email, Phone and Address Details for this service in simple two column table format, header then data.

Enquiries, Ozone Protection and Synthetic Greenhouse Gas Team

Operating address: John Gorton Building
King Edward Terrace
Australian Capital Territory 2600
Mailing address: GPO BOX 787
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory 2601
Phone: 02 6274 1373
Fax: 02 6274 2849